Friday 11 February 2011

MIKE ADAMS AT HIS HONEST WEIGHT




I had never heard of Mike Adams before and his decision to add "at his Honest Weight" to his name didn't exactly convince me this was going to be something I'd find too interesting. (What does it really mean? And my first impression would've been pretty similar if his artist name was 'Mike Adams Sings About How He Feels'). But after reading a glowing review, I gave the first track of his album 'Oscillate Wisely' (a pun on Oscar Wilde? a pun on an Oscar Wilde pun?) a listen. And then I listened to the rest of the album.

THREETIMESINAROW.

I'm not quite sure why I like it, but I really do - even after spending all day at work listening to it trying to convince myself I don't like it. I'm tempted to say it's simply because of, you know, the songs, but it might also be because of the strange noises in the background on Sunrise or the ending of It's All Been Done, You Said, when I, the first time I heard it, for a couple of seconds, was terrified my computer had broken down. Or maybe it's because all the songs somehow manage to sound the same while really being completely different. Or maybe it's because I like anything that can make sadness seem this triumphant.

Bad Weather by mikeadams

No comments:

Post a Comment