Wednesday 9 February 2011

(in)activity
























At the end of last year and in the early days of 2011, I didn't seem to be doing much on school nights. More often than not, I would spend these nights with my laptop in my room, skipping from one music blog to another. So when I started this wee blog a couple of weeks ago, it was, partly, to convince myself that it wasn't a complete waste of time; that music-geeking can also be useful. After which, of course, everything's been much much busier and I've had no time for extracurricular activities. But now I'm ill. So if any day is the day for another post, this is it.

I'm not sure why exactly, but I've listened a lot to Norwegian language music in the last few weeks. A lot of deLillos, the Aller Værste and Anarki og Kaos (a compilation of Norwegian punk), but mostly a more recent band called Kråkesølv. Maybe it's because I had such a lovely time in Oslo over Christmas and I didn't want the times of being surrounded by Norwegian to end? Or maybe it's just because I realised how great Kråkesølv are and that I felt like I had to catch up after not having payed them any attention at all earlier? In any case, here's the video for Skredder from their 2009 debut Trådnøsting. The album reminds me of Photo Album era Death Can For Cutie. Only better. And from Bodø. Aw.


Another recent favourite is the new Pains of Being Pure at Heart track, Belong, which is the title track from their forthcoming album. There's talk of a Smashing Pumpkins influence, and that may well be, all I know is that it sounds FUCKING AMAZING. I can't wait for this record now. And they're playing here in Berlin in only a couple of weeks. Jippi!

The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Belong by Slumberland Records

 Right, that's it for now. I'll be back with more when I get bored again.

No comments:

Post a Comment